Basic NetWare Commands and Utilities
Novell NetWare is the name of the network operating system running on
the Local Area Network (LAN). Most DOS commands are valid on the Novell
network. For example, typing dir will display a listing of files in your
current directory. In addition you can use all the NetWare commands at the
network prompt. Below are the commands you will use most often:
SLIST or NLIST
- Login to file server (eg., login ac2/guest).
- Type: login server/username
- Lists names of currently available fileservers
- Type: slist or slist /a or nlist
- Lists names and physical connections (net addresses and node addresses)
of users currently logged into a specific fileserver.
- Type: userlist /a
- Lists username and file server name of current user. Often used to
check whether individual is logged into the correct fileserver(s).
- Type: whoami
- System configuration utility which displays list of all users and
gives information on your account. Use it to change your password.
- Type: syscon
- Lists all directory paths containing the specified file(s) you want.
- Type: where filename
- Restores files already removed by the DEL or ERASE commands.
- Type: salvage
- Initiates FOLIO help facility to explain how specified command works.
- Type: help command